Initially called the Harford Hebrew Congregation, our synagogue was founded in February 1955. In November 1955, we purchased our first building from the American Legion at Forest Green and officially changed our name to the Harford Jewish Center. In March of 1957, we hired a rabbi for the weekends, and by October of the same year, we acquired our first Torahs and eternal light.
Our community prospered for years to come. In 1966, we welcomed our first full-time Rabbi, Paul Kushner. Temple Adas Shalom (Congregation of Peace), was dedicated on September 15, 1968, as the first synagogue in Harford County history. Temple Adas Shalom is a living monument to the sacrifice and commitment of the members who worked so diligently to achieve the realization of a dream of many families. These founding families worked so long and industriously to see the culmination of their dream of a Jewish center in Harford County finally come to fruition.
In 2019, Rabbi Gila Ruskin retired and we welcomed a new Rabbi to temple. In October 2019 we began a new chapter at Temple Adas Shalom with Rabbi John Franken joining our community. To learn more about our Rabbi, please visit the Rabbi page on our website.
In 2019 we completed an extensive renovation to expand our building to accommodate more classrooms, improved our HVAC system and lighting to employ a smarter energy efficiency plan, installed low e windows throughout the building and updated our sanctuary to be a light and airy place for worship.
Our religious, educational and social complex is situated on high ground at the intersection of Route 155 and Earlton Road, Extension in Havre de Grace, Maryland. It overlooks the serene countryside and is centrally located between Harford and Cecil Counties to serve the Jewish community throughout all of Northeast Maryland.
Temple Adas Shalom History
In 2005, we celebrated our 50th Anniversary! As part of this historic event, a large booklet was created and outlines what was accomplished in those years. The booklet is quite large and has been divided into 4 sections to make reading easier.